General Medical Licensure Questions

Discuss about issues related to Medical licensing and specific requirements of all 50 State medical boards. Should one use the FCVS or not? Share tips and tricks to speed up the process of getting a medical license.

Postby Guest » 03 May 2004, 23:04

i have yet to get into residency!!!

step 3 usmle

Postby Luke » 07 Jun 2004, 20:54

Dr. Licensure Expert,

After completing Step 3 and PGY-1 what states besides AK and WI will grant licensure.

Thanks,
Luke
Luke

state medical licensing

Postby Licensure Expert » 06 Mar 2005, 18:34

There are lots of states that do that. Look in this forum under individual states
Licensure Expert
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

Difference between eligibility to sit for step 3 and applyin

Postby Licensure Expert » 06 Mar 2005, 18:37

PLEASE NOTE:

PLEASE NOTE...ELIGIBILITY TO SIT FOR THE STEP 3 EXAM IS DIFFERENT THAN ELIGIBILITY TO APPLY FOR PERMANENT LICENSURE.

For eg. For TX, you can take the step 3 anytime, but you wont get licensed prior to completing 3 yrs of post graduate training.

Texas requires that you finish 3 years(For IMGs, and 2 years for US graduates) of post graduate training in the USA before being ELIGIBLE to even apply for permanent licensure.
Licensure Expert
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

7 year limit

Postby Licensure Expert » 06 Mar 2005, 18:43

7 Year limit for completion of all 3 USMLE Steps

Most state medical licensing boards require that you complete all 3 Steps of USMLE within a 7 year limit (Exceptions exist - contact each state individually).

The following states require completion of all 3 USMLE Steps within 6 years: Rhode Island

The following states require completion of all 3 USMLE Steps within 10 years: Maryland, Kansas, California

The following states DO NOT have any time limit for completion of all 3 USMLE Steps: Michigan, New York, North Carolina, Louisiana, Delaware
Licensure Expert
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

H 1 b visa

Postby onell » 06 Mar 2005, 19:33

hi

do i need a license to practice before i am eligible to apply for H1 b visa or steps1-3 and job offer will do.

one
onell

FCVS processing

Postby Guest » 06 Mar 2005, 19:33

FCVS average time for processing IMG's has come down considerably. It noiw averages 3 months. some residents have seen the process completed in 6 weeks. (wow).

AACRAO

Postby AACRAO » 06 Mar 2005, 19:34

I am applying for my Texas licensure and was told I need an AACRAO evaluation. What in gods name is this???????????????
AACRAO

FCVS

Postby FCVS » 06 Mar 2005, 19:35

Decided to apply for the California Status evaluation letter. Paying $ 300 to FCVS to get my medical education verified. Looks like they will hold the verified file in their custody and for a small fee(less than $ 50, I hope), will send the report to any state when I finally apply for license after finishing my Residency.

the advantage of getting FCVS is when you want to apply to multiple states for licensure. If you are planning on staying in one single state, you can do it yourself and save $ 400.
FCVS

US Virgin Islands

Postby US Virgin Islands » 12 Mar 2005, 10:01

US Virgin Islands - USMLE is not administered. Instead the SPEX exam is used to evaluate physicians.
US Virgin Islands

Opi

Postby OPI » 29 May 2005, 21:16

Could you tell me some about the Oral proficiency interview test for the Maryland licensure? Any OPI forum site or review materials for the OPI? Thanks.
OPI

See www.Residency101.com for updates

Postby timmy » 22 Jan 2006, 20:55

timmy

Re: Opi

Postby ishrat » 09 Feb 2006, 10:44

OPI wrote:Could you tell me some about the Oral proficiency interview test for the Maryland licensure? Any OPI forum site or review materials for the OPI? Thanks.

Me TOO! anyone out there who had an oral interview with a state board? what questions do they ask? what subjects? how to prepare?

Thanks.
ishrat

Re: AACRAO

Postby Ari Mistral » 12 Feb 2006, 14:38

AACRAO wrote:I am applying for my Texas licensure and was told I need an AACRAO evaluation. What in gods name is this???????????????

I wouldn't even bother with Texas unless your record is pristine. They are probably the most doctor-hostile state in the Union.

Ari
Ari Mistral

Reciprocity

Postby Reciprocity » 16 Feb 2006, 22:11

I have a NY license, but want to obtain other licenses. Are there reciprocity rules that can help me? I passed steps 1-3 within an 8 year 2 month period.

If not, would I have to take them again in sequence step1-step2-step3 or could I take step1 and step2 within a 7yr period after most recently passing step3? Confused? Me too
Reciprocity

PreviousNext

Return to State Medical License Issues