General Medical Licensure Questions

Discuss about issues related to Medical licensing and specific requirements of all 50 State medical boards. Should one use the FCVS or not? Share tips and tricks to speed up the process of getting a medical license.

General Medical Licensure Questions

Postby Licensure Expert » 25 Jan 2004, 01:16

General Medical License Questions - General Requirements: The requirements vary widely and may change also. :arrow: :roll:

1) Exams: In general, to get a state medical license, you must have passed USMLE Steps 1,2,3,CSA and received the ECFMG Certificate.

2) Attempts: Most States require that you pass the Individual USMLE steps within 3 attempts each

3) Time Limit: Most states require that you pass all USMLE steps within a 7 year period.

4) Internship/Residency requirements: Several States require one, two or three years of US Postgraduate training before you can qualify to apply for their State License.

5) Medical Jurisprudence exam: A few States have a written Medical Jurisprudence test that you must pass before they can give their license. :(
Last edited by Licensure Expert on 27 Jan 2004, 16:11, edited 2 times in total.
Licensure Expert
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

Temporary licensure

Postby Yman » 26 Jan 2004, 22:41

I am a ENT surgeon from India and am just completing my CSA. I got a direct fellowship in head and neck oncology and will be starting it shortly in New York. My program wanted me to get temporary licensure. What is this? Is this the actual license?? Please help.
Yman

DEA Registration & License

Postby Joy » 28 Jan 2004, 09:53

Do I need a DEA registration to practice once I finish my residency. How do I get it? Thanks.
Joy

Limited license

Postby Joy » 01 Feb 2004, 17:11

Hi,

What is a limited license and how is it different from a residency permit
Joy

What is the Jurisprudence exam??

Postby Unoo » 02 Feb 2004, 19:43

What is the Jurisaprudence exam?
Unoo

How to Use this Forum

Postby Ram123 » 09 Feb 2004, 11:44

This forum is slightly different from other forums. You cannot write new Posts (new threads), but can reply to exising posts. So this helps to keep topics related to each state license in one place.

Again you cannot write new posts, but you CAN post replies under each existing post(state)
Ram123
Site Admin

H 1 b and step 1-3

Postby onee » 09 Feb 2004, 12:16

hi

do i need a license to practice before i am eligible to apply for H1 b visa or steps1-3 and job offer will do.

one
onee

7 years

Postby img2002 » 18 Feb 2004, 21:46

is it 7years from the date the first step was passed or was taken?
img2002

Attempts for state medical license

Postby Aliyah » 20 Feb 2004, 13:49

HOW MANY ATTEMPTS AND YEARS FOR USMLE , AND RESIDENCY YEARS ARE REQUIRED TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR STATE MEDICAL LICENSE, WHERE IS THE INFORMATION FOR --WHICH STATE IS MORE FLEXIBLE
Aliyah

State licensing and usmle attempts

Postby Wiseman » 28 Feb 2004, 22:03

Aliyah,

Try checking fsmb.org. Attempts differ depending on the state.
Wiseman
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

Attempts and validity time period

Postby Monique » 05 Mar 2004, 09:30

It is 7 years from when you first sat (took) for the usmle step that you took first.
Monique

visit www.Residency911.com to write about your residency int

Postby Guest » 13 Mar 2004, 15:57

visit http://www.Residency911.com to write about your residency interviews and share your thoughts about the programs where you went. Help others in the post match and next years match.

DEA registration

Postby Reddy » 16 Mar 2004, 20:41

Yes, you need to have a DEA registration before you can practice INDEPENDENTLY. you can apply online at DEA website. costs $ 210 for 2 years
Reddy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Postby archrajrao » 03 May 2004, 19:40

I am planning to take my step 3 in aug/ sept so that my chances of getting into residency gets better. I wanted to know which state med board is better to register at? which is the hassle free one? & the cheapest? Do they require lots of documents? I'd appreciate any info on this!

Indiana medical license

Postby Hemaa » 03 May 2004, 20:49

Indiana Health professions bureau is the cheapest and easiest to apply to. you will get a license in 2-3 months. But indiana law says that you should have finished two years of residency in theUSA to apply...
Hemaa

Next

Return to State Medical License Issues