Alabama Medical License

Discuss about issues related to Medical licensing and specific requirements of all 50 State medical boards. Should one use the FCVS or not? Share tips and tricks to speed up the process of getting a medical license.

Alabama Medical License

Postby Licensure Expert » 25 Jan 2004, 01:14

Alabama Medical License

You must pass all 3 steps of the USMLE within 3 attempts each and within a 7 year time period(10 years for dual degree). If you are a US graduate, you are eligible to SIT for the USMLE Step 3 exam after 10 months of Internship (Postgraduate training). For International Medical graduates (IMGs), 2 years and 10 months of postgraduate training is required before you can take the Step 3 test.

Permanent medical licensure: US graduates, are eligible to apply for permanent medical license after completion of 1 year of GME / postgraduate training (Internship, Residency or Fellowship). International Medical graduates (IMGs) require completion of 3 years of GME / postgraduate training to be eligible to apply for permanent medical license.
Last edited by Licensure Expert on 12 Mar 2005, 21:41, edited 2 times in total.
Licensure Expert
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

7 year limit

Postby Licensure Expert » 06 Mar 2005, 18:54

7 Year limit for completion of all 3 USMLE Steps

Most state medical licensing boards require that you complete all 3 Steps of USMLE within a 7 year limit (Exceptions exist - contact each state individually).

The following states require completion of all 3 USMLE Steps within 6 years: Rhode Island

The following states require completion of all 3 USMLE Steps within 10 years: Maryland, Kansas, California

The following states DO NOT have any time limit for completion of all 3 USMLE Steps: Michigan, New York, North Carolina, Louisiana, Delaware
Licensure Expert
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

Exceptions to 3 years training for IMG's?

Postby patricma » 21 Jun 2005, 11:06

I did a J1 fellowship without residency in Texas, now applying for J1 waiver, got an offer in Alabama, which requires 3 years for FMG's to get the license. Is there any way I can get arround with only 2 years?
patricma

Foot and Ankle Orthopedics

Postby Nilesh » 02 Sep 2005, 21:31

I am an IMG and got fellowship in Foot and Ankle Orthopedics at Birmingham, AL I passed all my USMLE step 1 , 2ck and cs and I got my ECFMG certificated. My question is if I need to take step 3 for getting temporary Alabama state license to start my fellowship
Nilesh

TEMPORARY license/ Training permit

Postby usmle step 3 » 20 Sep 2005, 19:06

No. For TEMPORARY license/ Training permit, you dont need step 3 usmle. Also, there is no way you can take it within alabama -see above - before 10 months of US training
usmle step 3

Return to State Medical License Issues