Indiana Medical Licensure

Discuss about issues related to Medical licensing and specific requirements of all 50 State medical boards. Should one use the FCVS or not? Share tips and tricks to speed up the process of getting a medical license.

Indiana Medical Licensure

Postby Licensure Expert » 25 Jan 2004, 01:01

Indiana Medical License :arrow:

Indiana is one of the "easy license states". Very efficient, friendly and helpful state medical board - called Indiana Helath Professions Bureau. You must have completed your USMLE steps within 3 attempts each and a total 7 year time period. For US graduates, the postgraduate training requirement is 6 months to sit for the step 3 exam. For IMGs, you can apply for step 3 exam after 2 years of US residency.

Permanent medical licensure: US graduates, are eligible to apply for permanent medical license after completion of 1 year of GME / postgraduate training (Internship, Residency or Fellowship). International Medical graduates (IMGs) require completion of 2 years of GME / postgraduate training to be eligible to apply for permanent medical license.

Application is a simple process. Fee is cheap $ 250 for medical license and $ 60 for CSR(controlled substance registration - This is the State equivalent of the DEA). Fee is for a 2 year license. :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Licensure Expert on 12 Mar 2005, 21:57, edited 4 times in total.
Licensure Expert
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

Got my Indiana license

Postby Geetha » 26 Jan 2004, 10:44

Applied for my Indiana license and got it within 2.5 months. It was very quick and painless. Wish all other states are like this.
Geetha

Postby Lavanya » 27 Jan 2004, 18:56

I got my Indiana license in 1.5 months. Few key points to remember when you are applying for your Indiana license: 1. Make sure you get a letter of good standing from your residency program. 2. Make sure you get a letter of good standing from the state you are doing residency in. 3. When you do the self-query for your name, make sure you send in all the papers.
Lavanya

Postby Lavanya » 27 Jan 2004, 18:59

I forgot to add that you need to get both letters of good standing sent directly to the Indiana medical board. And the self query is called: National Pracationers Database (NPDB) 8)
Lavanya

Postby Guest » 21 May 2005, 18:14

Lavanya wrote:I got my Indiana license in 1.5 months. Few key points to remember when you are applying for your Indiana license: 1. Make sure you get a letter of good standing from your residency program. 2. Make sure you get a letter of good standing from the state you are doing residency in. 3. When you do the self-query for your name, make sure you send in all the papers.

Postby Ari Mistral » 05 Feb 2006, 10:28

I've been out of medicine for five years (due to illness). I've kept up with my CMEs and am working in a mental-health, non-medical position. Does Indiana take time out of medicine into consideration? I do not have problems with visas (American citizen, American medical school) or licensing scores (passed all three parts at first attempts). I've just had problems getting back due to my illness.

I may not be able to get a letter of good standing from my last residency programs. I had a lot of problems before resigning. I do have excellent LoRs from my current employer, from the management, as well as the medical staff.

I'm fine now, but want to find a state that would license me. Texas was not sympathetic to my situation (be wary of Texas, doctors), but I heard that IN's (and PA's) process to get a license were not as hostile.

Ariel
Ari Mistral

Return to State Medical License Issues