New York Medical Licensure

Discuss about issues related to Medical licensing and specific requirements of all 50 State medical boards. Should one use the FCVS or not? Share tips and tricks to speed up the process of getting a medical license.

New York Medical Licensure

Postby Licensure Expert » 25 Jan 2004, 00:46

New York Medical License

STEP 3: You must pass all 3 steps of the USMLE within 0 attempts (no limits) each and within a 0 year (no limit) time period. If you are a US graduate, you are eligible to SIT for the USMLE Step 3 exam after 0 year of Internship (Postgraduate training). For IMGs, 0 years of postgraduate training is required before you can take the Step 3 test.

New York State LICENSE: - Office of the Professions requires that you submit your permanent medical licensure application at the same time you apply to sit for USMLE Step 3 exam. You have to be either a US citizen or Green card holder / Permanent resident to apply for permanent medical license in New York. You must also have 3 years (1 year for US grads) of post graduate training - Internship / Residency / Fellowship to be eligible to apply for permanent licensure.

You dont need these requirements to simply sit for USMLE step 3 and get a limited license (Supervised medical practice/Training) for Residency training.

If you want to practice medicine independently and are not a US citizen or Permanent Resident, you can apply for the "3 yr Limited license for practice in Underserved areas"

Fee for license application is $ 735, fee for limited medical license is $ 105.
Last edited by Licensure Expert on 12 Mar 2005, 22:11, edited 3 times in total.
Licensure Expert
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

USMLE Step 3

Postby Deena » 30 Jan 2004, 09:22

Do I need Step 3 exam completion for New York medical License?
Deena

California, Texas, New York and florida medical license

Postby Licensure Expert » 06 Mar 2005, 18:25

Comparison between California, Texas and florida licenses

You will not get Texas license easily for 3 reasons:

1) Texas is one of the 3 tough states. The other 2 are CA and FL. Each of these take 6-9 months to process your license and cost a lot. CA= $ 1000(application fee 550 + License fee $ 600), TX = $1300 (application fee 800 + License fee 500), FL = Exact amount unknown...about $ 1000.

2) Texas requires that you finish 3 years(For IMGs) of post graduate training in the USA before being ELIGIBLE to even apply for permanent licensure. PLEASE NOTE...ELIGIBILITY TO SIT FOR THE STEP 3 EXAM IS DIFFERENT THAN ELIGIBILITY TO APPLY FOR PERMANENT LICENSURE. For TX, you can take the step 3 anytime, but you wont get licensed prior to completing 3 yrs of post graduate training.

3) Esp for Texas, you have to give a written Jurisprudence test prior to getting licensed. This test is given only at Austin, Tx, therefore, you have to travel there, prepare for the test(books cost $ 150) and get more than 75% of the 50 questions correct to get licensed.

NEW YORK: I believe that you need to be a Green card holder or US citizen to get PERMANENT licensure in New York. For IMGs, the only loophole is that if you work in an underserved area, you can get a "special Permanent License". Please check on this to be sure on their website.
Licensure Expert
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

7 Year limit USMLE

Postby Licensure Expert » 06 Mar 2005, 18:44

7 Year limit for completion of all 3 USMLE Steps

Most state medical licensing boards require that you complete all 3 Steps of USMLE within a 7 year limit (Exceptions exist - contact each state individually).

The following states require completion of all 3 USMLE Steps within 6 years: Rhode Island

The following states require completion of all 3 USMLE Steps within 10 years: Maryland, Kansas, California

The following states DO NOT have any time limit for completion of all 3 USMLE Steps: Michigan, New York, North Carolina, Louisiana, Delaware
Licensure Expert
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

Re: New York Medical Licensure

Postby janel80 » 02 Jul 2008, 00:51

After applying for a 3 year limited license in New york, how long is the processing? When will I get my license?
janel80
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

Postby Reddy999 » 08 Jul 2008, 13:28

average 2 months
Reddy999
5 Star Member
5 Star Member

Postby janel80 » 11 Aug 2008, 07:50

Thanks! Last Question... Can I renew that 3 year limit license if it expires? and Can I take the Step 3 and apply for the state license around 6 months after I take the exam?
janel80
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

Postby rhesus_md » 29 Dec 2008, 21:44

Hello does anyone know what kind of license I need for a residency in New York?
rhesus_md
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

Say hi everyone

Postby chdieawoy » 13 Jan 2009, 10:33

Hi, I am new here. Hope to know everyone.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[url=http://www.towholesalejewelry.com/to/105.html]Find a huge selection of Watches[/url], [url=http://www.towholesalejewelry.com/to/106.html]Find exceptional bargains on jewelry[/url], [url=http://www.towholesalejewelry.com/to/107.html]All about finding just the right piece of jewelry[/url]
chdieawoy
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

Postby jimres » 11 Mar 2009, 05:32

Thanks for the useful information. I would also like to know information related to Medical Malpractice Law in New York City. I have a friend who is planning to practice medicine in New York City.
jimres

Return to State Medical License Issues