Pennsylvania Medical Licensure

Discuss about issues related to Medical licensing and specific requirements of all 50 State medical boards. Should one use the FCVS or not? Share tips and tricks to speed up the process of getting a medical license.

Postby Licensure Expert » 25 Jan 2004, 00:40

You must pass all 3 steps of the USMLE within 0 attempts (no limits, after 3 attempts further training needed) each and within a 7 year time period. If you are a US graduate, you are eligible to SIT for the USMLE Step 3 exam after 0 year of Internship (Postgraduate training). For IMGs, 0 years of postgraduate training is required before you can take the Step 3 test. Must be enrolled in an ACGME program to take step 3.

Permanent medical licensure: US graduates, are eligible to apply for permanent medical license after completion of 2 years of GME / postgraduate training (Internship, Residency or Fellowship). International Medical graduates (IMGs) require completion of 3 years of GME / postgraduate training to be eligible to apply for permanent medical license.
Last edited by Licensure Expert on 12 Mar 2005, 22:16, edited 3 times in total.
Licensure Expert
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

Penn license for FMGs

Postby e2k » 06 Feb 2004, 20:27

How many years of postgrad training do FMGs need to get a license in Pennsylvania?
e2k
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

Re: Penn license for FMGs

Postby Guest » 17 Feb 2004, 12:03

e2k wrote:How many years of postgrad training do FMGs need to get a license in Pennsylvania?

FMG'S require only 2 years of postgrad training to get a license in Penn

Pennsylvania temporary lisence

Postby svetaslocum » 19 Mar 2004, 10:38

Hi guys,
I mutched to Hershey Penn State IM. I'm ECFMG certified but my TOEFL had expired in February. I called ECFMG and they sad that they are going send me a permanent ECFMG certificate anyway on June 14 and TOEFL is not required anymore for certification. My question is to get a temporary PA lisence do I need to retake TOEFL or not???
Thanks.
svetaslocum
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

Certificate of Clinical Rotation form

Postby asazad » 05 Jan 2005, 12:47

I'm a foriegn medical graduate who graduated from St Georges University. I'm currently a 3rd year pediatric resident at St Josephs hospital in Paterson, NJ.

I'm trying to fill out the certificate of clinical rotation forms. When it asks if the hospital where i did the rotation has an ACGME accredited residency program in the area for which i am seeking credit, does this apply to ALL of the rotations i completed and not just my core rotations. ie., if i did a rotation in pediatric cardiology as an elective in my 4th year of medical school, does the hospital that i did that rotation (ST Joseph's hospital, paterson NJ) have to have a pediatric cardiology fellowship program?
asazad
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

7 Year USMLE limit

Postby Licensure Expert » 06 Mar 2005, 18:44

7 Year limit for completion of all 3 USMLE Steps

Most state medical licensing boards require that you complete all 3 Steps of USMLE within a 7 year limit (Exceptions exist - contact each state individually).

The following states require completion of all 3 USMLE Steps within 6 years: Rhode Island

The following states require completion of all 3 USMLE Steps within 10 years: Maryland, Kansas, California

The following states DO NOT have any time limit for completion of all 3 USMLE Steps: Michigan, New York, North Carolina, Louisiana, Delaware
Licensure Expert
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

residency promotion requirements

Postby hyltoncs » 17 Jul 2005, 06:44

Do all Pennsylvania programs require that you pass step 3 before being promoted to R3? Some of my friends in other states have gotten to the end of their residencies and are just now taking the 3rd step. I am being held at the end of my R2 year and I understand that no-one in my program or the local ones got promoted if they have not passed step 3. I tried to take it and had computer problems and aborted so I have to wait 60 days for the next try.

Cootie Sue
hyltoncs

Postby mink » 12 Jan 2006, 10:43

Dear Lisensure Expert,

I am filing for Penn state lisence to begin my residency from july 06.Being a fmg I am not aware of certain terms which might be common here in us medical system. Please if you can clear following doubts-

1.Clinical rotations term -does it include only clinic teachings or the lectures also. If I include only ward teachings , I am not able to complete the requirement of 2880 hours of minimum clinical rotation hrs. but if I include lectures, I meet the requirement.

2.Is there any minimum requirement for hour per week for clinical rotation.Its written they will not give credit for more than 40 hrs per week.
but can it be less than 40 hrs like I am getting 19 hours per week.Is it ok as long as total is 2880hrs.

3.Its written minimum 72 weeks of clinical rotations required. My clinical rotations started quite early in 3rd year and are spread over 120 weeks(approx. 3hrs per day in beginning). Is this acceptable. So although the weeks are more hrs per week are less.

4.How do you calculate weeks of credit. How many weeks of credit are required for residency in Internal medicine.

I would greatly appreciate your response.
mink

Postby Ari Mistral » 05 Feb 2006, 10:26

I've been out of medicine for five years (due to illness). I've kept up with my CMEs and am working in a mental-health, non-medical position. Does Pennsylvania take time out of medicine into consideration? I do not have problems with visas (American citizen, American medical school) or licensing scores (passed all three parts at first attempts). I've just had problems getting back due to my illness.

I'm fine now, but want to find a state that would license me. Texas was not sympathetic to my situation (be wary of Texas, doctors), but I heard that PA's process is not as hostile.

Ari
Ari Mistral

Return to State Medical License Issues