Texas Medical License

Discuss about issues related to Medical licensing and specific requirements of all 50 State medical boards. Should one use the FCVS or not? Share tips and tricks to speed up the process of getting a medical license.

Texas Medical License

Postby Licensure Expert » 25 Jan 2004, 00:34

Texas Medical License :arrow:

You must pass all 3 steps of the USMLE within a 3 attempts each and within a 7 year time period. If you are a US graduate, you can get a Texas license after 1 year of Internship. For IMGs, 3 years of postgraduate training is required before you can get the license. There is also a written Jurisprudence test that can be taken only in Austin, TX at the TSBME office. Fee is initial application processing $ 800 and about $ 400 more once you are issued the permanent license. :roll:
Last edited by Licensure Expert on 27 Jan 2004, 16:57, edited 3 times in total.
Licensure Expert
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

How long does it take?

Postby Rajesh » 26 Jan 2004, 10:52

I applied to Texas for a medical license in July 03. Still getting processed. How long does it take?
Rajesh

IMG for Texas license

Postby IMG » 27 Jan 2004, 00:36

I want to start practice next year in Texas. I have completed 2 years of IM residency. Am I eligible to apply for Texas license?
IMG

Texas - very slow process

Postby Reddy » 09 Feb 2004, 12:19

Thinking about going to Texas? Dont! Has lots and lots of regulations... medical license takes a long time- about 6-8 months if you are lucky, very slow medical board...just stick to easier states. even Florida and California(the tougher states) are easier and try to help you... overall very inefficient licensure process in Texas.
Reddy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Texas - very slow process

Postby Guest » 17 Feb 2004, 12:01

Reddy wrote:Thinking about going to Texas? Dont! Has lots and lots of regulations... medical license takes a long time- about 6-8 months if you are lucky, very slow medical board...just stick to easier states. even Florida and California(the tougher states) are easier and try to help you... overall very inefficient licensure process in Texas.

Not quite true. I am aware of people who got texas license in less than 8 months. As a US graduate you only need 2 years of postgraduate training while as a foreign medical graduate, you need 3 years. Besides, the weather is fantastic with very mild winter conditions.

7 years

Postby img2002 » 18 Feb 2004, 21:41

7 years from the date the first step was passed or was taken
img2002

Postby apricot » 19 Apr 2004, 12:31

I applied to TX licenxce in March and was allowed to take a Jurisprudence in August. TX board requested a letter from my medical school be sent directly to the board to explain why there were family practice and neuroscience courses in my curriculum.
apricot

Comparison between Texas, New York and florida licenses

Postby Reddy » 04 May 2004, 19:21

Comparison between California, Texas and florida licenses

You will not get Texas license easily for 3 reasons:

1) Texas is one of the 3 tough states. The other 2 are CA and FL. Each of these take 6-9 months to process your license and cost a lot. CA= $ 1000(application fee 550 + License fee $ 600), TX = $1300 (application fee 800 + License fee 500), FL = Exact amount unknown...about $ 1000.

2) Texas requires that you finish 3 years(For IMGs) of post graduate training in the USA before being ELIGIBLE to even apply for permanent licensure. PLEASE NOTE...ELIGIBILITY TO SIT FOR THE STEP 3 EXAM IS DIFFERENT THAN ELIGIBILITY TO APPLY FOR PERMANENT LICENSURE. For TX, you can take the step 3 anytime, but you wont get licensed prior to completing 3 yrs of post graduate training.

3) Esp for Texas, you have to give a written Jurisprudence test prior to getting licensed. This test is given only at Austin, Tx, therefore, you have to travel there, prepare for the test(books cost $ 150) and get more than 75% of the 50 questions correct to get licensed.

My advice, stay away from Texas...very very slow medical board...they keep losing your papers and mail they them to the wrong address.

NEW YORK: I believe that you need to be a Green card holder or US citizen to get PERMANENT licensure in New York. For IMGs, the only loophole is that if you work in an underserved area, you can get a "special Permanent License". Please check on this to be sure on their website.

So I guess all 3 states that you mentioned are very bad choices. Sorry...I will be happy to comment on anyother states that you are considering..
Reddy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Postby apricot » 06 May 2004, 14:15

FMGs can apply for TX license after 2 years of residency but they will not be eligible for jurisprudence until thet have completed 3 years of residency training
apricot

SPEX for Texas

Postby olddoc » 25 May 2004, 08:40

I need to get licensed in Texas and am required to take the SPEX.

It's been a long time since I took the Boards and therefore a good prep is a must.

Could anyone recommend the best SPEX prep course to take?
olddoc
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

Help with Texas Medical License

Postby doc32233 » 29 May 2004, 08:05

For Texas, you need to pass a jurisprudence exam, and score >75%, and the books cost a tidy sum
doc32233

Texas Medical Licensure

Postby Licensure Expert » 06 Mar 2005, 18:20

Books cost $ 150. They made the jurisprudence test easier. Now you can take it in a sylvian computer center. But you have to still make a trip to Austin to present your original documents (think of this as a move by Texas medical board to help the economy of Austin by making sure every new medical license applicant spends about $ 400 to revive the economy of Austin, TX)
Licensure Expert
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

More than 3 USMLE Step attempts

Postby Licensure Expert » 06 Mar 2005, 18:29

If you have taken more than 3 attempts to pass any USMLE Step, there is still hope

You can still apply for a Texas medical license if you have taken not more than 4 attempts at any one USMLE Step. However, you should not have taken more than 3 attempts in the other USMLE Steps
Licensure Expert
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

USMLE Steps more than 4 attempts

Postby Licensure Expert » 06 Mar 2005, 18:31

If you have taken more than 4 attempts to pass any USMLE Step, there is still hope

You can still apply for a Texas medical license if you have taken not more than 5 attempts at any one USMLE Step.

However, you should not have taken more than 3 attempts in the other USMLE Steps AND you must obtain ABMS certification in any speciality (like Internal Medicine- ABIM)
Licensure Expert
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

Texas medical license

Postby texas » 06 Mar 2005, 19:36

Thinking about going to Texas? Dont! Has lots and lots of regulations... medical license takes a long time- about 6-8 months if you are lucky, very slow medical board...just stick to easier states. even Florida and California(the tougher states) are easier and try to help you... overall very inefficient licensure process in Texas.
texas

Next

Return to State Medical License Issues