finished PGY1 8 months not promoted to PGY2, PLEASE advice

Discuss issues about your medical residency program with your peers. Violations of the 80 hr work week? Too much residency scut work? Discrimination? Bad attendings? Were your clinical decisions questioned? The perfect place to discuss & vent your problems anonymously. Network with other Residents & Fellows about Fellowship programs & opportunities .

finished PGY1 8 months not promoted to PGY2, PLEASE advice

Postby doc123 » 14 Aug 2008, 18:51

i did research for 4 years. My X boss helped me to get into IM program against the will of the program director. My scores are as follows step 1 85 and step 2-- 75(2nd attempt) CS passed, graduate of 2002.

I have done PGY1 for 8 months in IM , and I was not promoted to PGY2. I have ACGME evaluations ranging from 6 to 8 and in two of the rotations i scored 5. My program director gave a letter of recommendation and it is neutral. he mentioned i am hardworking, sincere, good work ethic, and she will be credited for the 8 months from July 2007 to Feb 2008.

However in ABIM report he gave unsatifactory and i got "0" credits. I don't understand this discrepancy. I emailed my program director and asked him. He mentioned that ABIM gives 1 full year credit and it wont give credit for few months. I called the ABIM personnel and they said it is not true, my PD can give satisfactory and i will get credits and i can apply for IM anywhere else.

I am looking for PGY2 in FP and PGY1 in FP (2009 match).

I contacted AAFP regarding the transfer of credits from IM to FP and my call was transferred to a program director in AAFP phone line and he mentioned that i will have funding issues for medicare.

The graduate medical education funding has already paid 60,000 dollars for my previous program for medicare for the duration of 8 months and the new program i join will not get this money. they have to pay from their pocket. few program don't have funding issues. GOD only know where are those programs

I am totally lost, i can't get into IM b/c i have "0" credits in ABIM report, and i have funding issues for PGY1 in FM and with 8 months of clinical experience i have very few chances in PGY2 in FM.

some one pllllllllllllllllllllllllllease advice.
doc123
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

Re: finished PGY1 8 months not promoted to PGY2, PLEASE advice

Postby yolanda » 10 Feb 2010, 16:40

Why did you do only 8 months of internship and not a full year? You may consider talking with your program director to take you back for the remaining 4 months, calling the other programs to check if they have any openings, and looking for vacancies on http://www.residentswap.org/residency_vacancies_summary.php

Re-entering the match is also another option.
yolanda
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

Return to Residency Program Issues