PLEASE HELP ME TO UNDERSTAND MATCH AGREEMENT

Discuss about the Residency Match process - applications, interviews, visas, medical school transcripts, residency programs, ECFMG certificate, match strategies and post-match scramble. Meet current Residents & Fellows here and network for Residency placement. Post your opinion on specific residency programs.

Postby bouaram » 09 Sep 2004, 05:55

i applied to two fields, IM as backup and peds as the major one.. so in my rank order list "which is only one" i put:
1. peds
2. peds
3.peds
4.IM
5. IM
and so on, so you have only one rank order list.. if you were offered a pre match in IM you have to withdraw from the match "period"!! withdrawal from match has a form that you have to fill.. it will not ask you if you want to withdraw from one field and not the other, it is simply withdrawal from the race! got me??
as to applying for PGY2 from now for the anesthesis, well... i have no clue though i feel it's early!
as to my friend PAT, a very good friend of mine matched in the ob/gyn field so it is not a dream..
GL
bouaram
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Postby Larry » 09 Sep 2004, 06:18

categorical-------the 3 years of IM
preliminary------PGY-1 required before you can continue onto another specialty, for example, ophthalmology etc.
transitional----I'll let bouram take care of that!
hope this helps a tiny bit
Larry

Postby jester » 09 Sep 2004, 06:59

Thanks Pat and Bouram.

I can apply for PGY-2 for 2006 now, because that's what is on FREIDA listings, and the programs I've called told me to apply and find PGY-1 elsewhere. So now it's a main question( though theoretical one) - should I withdraw from applying for anest. CA-1( PGY-2) for 2006 when I'm offered a prematch in IM for 2005 PGY-1. I suppose, if it's in categorical track(IM) I should withdraw, but if it's in preliminary - does anybody know?
jester

Postby jester » 09 Sep 2004, 07:00

Thanks Pat and Bouaram.

I can apply for PGY-2 for 2006 now, because that's what is on FREIDA listings, and the programs I've called told me to apply and find PGY-1 elsewhere. So now it's a main question( though theoretical one) - should I withdraw from applying for anest. CA-1( PGY-2) for 2006 when I'm offered a prematch in IM for 2005 PGY-1. I suppose, if it's in categorical track(IM) I should withdraw, but if it's in preliminary - does anybody know?
jester

Postby PAT » 09 Sep 2004, 12:42

Bouaram...you keep me up!!! I do not have sooooooooo good scores on USMLE but I am already an OBGYN graduated from my country...hope that can help a litle bit.
I have 4 letters of recommendation: 2 of them for sure i have to use it, the 3th one if from the chairman of the OBGYN department in my country and the 4th one is from a mexican doctor that got his degree in surgery 20 years ago (now he is practicing in mexico) from one of the hospitals i will apply. As you know programs accept 3 letter of recommendation. In that hospital, from which the mexican doctor was graduated, do you think better send them his LOR or the 3th one? i am worried about that because the mexican doctor is a surgeon not an OBGYN so i don't know if that really matters....and better send the one from the OBGYN department evethough is from my country? Which one is more powerfull?
Am i bothering you so much? :oops: just let me know!!! :wink: coz i have so many doubts that you will never end to answer me!!!!! and believe me no one had helped me so much as you...i will never stop to thank you so much you care!

LARRY, thaks a lot to explain me some of those terms...i really appreciate your help :D
PAT

Postby PAT » 09 Sep 2004, 12:55

I have another Qs...sorry!

What will happen if any program call me for an interview???, what i will put in the rank order list?, what i should do in that case??? Can i still going to the post match eventhough any one interview me?

This process is driven me crazy!!!!!
PAT

Postby bouaram » 09 Sep 2004, 20:44

ok,
first things first..
a letter from a doctor from this program is imp irrespective of specialty coz they'll appreciate that one of their own recommended you.. on the other hand, a letter from chairman of ob/gyn is also imp... so my advice is use both and get rid of one of the other two.. unless the other two are from ob/gyn...
now, in post match you will not be called for an interview, you will simply find open positions and call them and if they said fax us your papers, you will...
listen, it is easy if you take it easy.. you will apply now for programs.. called for interviews.. if it is in their policy they will offer you pre-match, my advice sign and go on.. if not, wait till the match, when matched "hopefully" they'll send you papers so sign and go on..
if not, God forbids, you have to call and not go to interviews or whatever..
got it??
as to withdrawal from PGY2 for the guy who asked no, you just withdraw from the PGY1..
you are not bothering me at all..
GL
bouaram
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Postby PAT » 09 Sep 2004, 22:12

Ok Bouaram...you know what? i think i did not ask you the last qs in a right way...it was my mistake.

I got everything you have told me about the application, LORs, interviews, prematch, rank order list and match..including the punishment.

What I was trying to ask you was if I apply and NOBODY invite me to an interview. What should i do at the moment of the rank order list have to be done?. Can I still be in the game and participate in the postmacth?.

The other 2 letter i got are from USA OBGYN doctors.

Thanks again and I'm sorry about that!!
PAT

Postby bouaram » 10 Sep 2004, 21:11

now that would be bad concerning the match coz even if you had your rank order list, u'll be more than sure none of these programs will rank you..
but you can for sure participate in the "post match".. even if one of the programs you applied to and did not contact you for an interview has an open position just call and fax ur papers to them..
it's great you've got LOR's from US doctors..
GL
bouaram
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Postby Larry » 10 Sep 2004, 21:39

bouaram, i have only one LOR at the moment. i will get a couple more by the next 2 weeks. will that affect my application process?? i heard that by mid september, programs already have selected their candidates. is that true?? will it be ok to send the application out by monday? or will it be too late :cry: thanks for any info on this....
Larry

Postby PAT » 11 Sep 2004, 00:22

Thanks Bouaram... I got it!!!

Larry, I don't know if programs already have their candidates choosen by middle september...that's sound really unfair to me. As far as I know you can send the documment that you already have to ECFMG and start applying, you will send the other LORs latter and they will add it to your application.

GL and have a nice weekend!
PAT

Postby bouaram » 11 Sep 2004, 22:55

pal,
I applied at almost the end of september coz i was waiting for LOR's and deans letter.. i was contacted by big names like Duke, baylor, UNC.. so, chill..
sorry for the late reply but i am in hell these days with so many calls..
GL
bouaram
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Postby Larry » 13 Sep 2004, 10:26

hi guys. thanks for your posts. i feel a bit better knowing that i'm still not too late. will it be ok to send my application in without a personal statement?? i have just submitted it to be revised by MEDFOOLs. i believe it takes 3 days to be reviewed. shall i wait for their response or send it in anyway, without the PS?? Thanks all of you for such quick and efficient replies. Take care
Larry

Postby docjay » 08 Oct 2004, 21:28

Hi bouaram,
I am new to this forum and appreciate your effort to answer our doubts amidst ur busy schedule.

I have a doubt. I am very much interested in Diagnostic radiology.I heard that it is very competitive.So i have applied for Categorical IM only for this match. I want to know how i can get into Diagnostic Radiology residency once i enter IM. In the next year match if i apply again will it be easier.How and when do we tell the PD.What else shdu i do now and during residency to better my chances.
I am an IMG from India. My scores are 89,87 (I,II).need visa.

Please help me. I am on visitor visa now. Is it advisable to look for observship positions in IM or Radiology.
docjay
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

Postby bouaram » 13 Oct 2004, 10:13

i am so sorry pal,
i have no clue about radiology.. i'll tell you what my friends told me.. you do one year internal medicine to be eligible for radiology, it is highly competitive so chances are really low.. to increase chances you should go and do observership in a hospital and work on getting them to offer you a position.. apply to as many programs as you could, and finally apply to places that US citizens do not like, either very cold, small cities.. upstate, buffalo, rochester..etc
gl
bouaram
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

PreviousNext

Return to Residency Matching - NRMP, ERAS & IMG Forum