PLEASE HELP ME TO UNDERSTAND MATCH AGREEMENT

Discuss about the Residency Match process - applications, interviews, visas, medical school transcripts, residency programs, ECFMG certificate, match strategies and post-match scramble. Meet current Residents & Fellows here and network for Residency placement. Post your opinion on specific residency programs.

PLEASE HELP ME TO UNDERSTAND MATCH AGREEMENT

Postby PAT » 05 Sep 2004, 23:55

Hello Friends:

I have been reading the match agreement and notice that it would be a violation if you aplpy to a hospital and match it and then do not accept the position. Does that mean that if I apply to any hospital I have to accept the position they offer me eventhough may be by the time of the match I realize that I can not be in that hospital or can not move for any reason?...because right now i am thinking in some hospitals in X state but i wont be sure about moving there until next year...does that mean that because i am not sure i should not apply to those hospitals?. What happen if you match in two hospitals at the same time??...I don't know what to do, i will wait for your answer to decide.

Thanks in advance :cry:
PAT

contract

Postby lf777 » 06 Sep 2004, 07:41

Hi

You are essentially signing a contract before knowing where you are going. You may break the contract, but it may cause you a lot of trouble.

If you have a difficult circumstance where you can not go to the place you matched, you can talk to the program. But if you accepted a position elsewhere then it might be problematic.

good luck
lf
lf777
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

Postby PAT » 06 Sep 2004, 08:56

Thanks lf777

:cry: I am very depress, not only is difficult to search for hospitals but also if you are unsure better do no apply to them....my posibilities really are narrow for me because I won't know if I would be able to move until next year. I just want to cry!
PAT

Postby bouaram » 06 Sep 2004, 20:09

actually u should be so careful when u r doing ur rank order list on the NRMP site.. if ur first choice does not take ur second might, so actually no one is forcing u to do anything..
GL
bouaram
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Postby Guest » 06 Sep 2004, 22:07

Thanks Bouaram........but i didn't understand what you mean being carefull with the rank order list. Could you explain me a litle bit more detailed?

Thanks in advance...i am really confuse with all tis process :roll:

Postby bouaram » 07 Sep 2004, 09:54

ok, let us assume you are interested in 5 programs. A, B, C, D and E..
and you got interviews in A, B and C.. now it is time for you to put your rank order list in the NRMP.. you should think hard about which program you really really liked. so let us say u liked C the best so you put C as first choice then let us say u liked B less and A the least. so your rank order list would look like this:
1. C
2. B
3. A
of course you'll have more choices but i am just explaining here.. now you thought hard about those choices, given that you know how you feel about these programs and all.. now, it is time for the match.. the program has a list of candidates itself so let us say you applied to program C as first choice, now program C has a list of its own.. assume the list of program c is:
1.X
2.Y
3. you
so, in this case you are in coz most probably they take more than 3 candiadates, let us assume they only take 2.. so if X did not rank them as first they shift to Y and you, if Y did not rank them they shift to you and the person after you on their list and so on..
if C did not rank you then automatically NRMP shifts to the program second on your list and so on...
That's why i told you give it thourough thinking and do not rank a program unless you really like it and leave the back up ones until the end of your list..
please let me know if you got the point of this, and if not just tell me..
GL
bouaram
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Postby Larry » 07 Sep 2004, 14:24

not only will guest understand, but alot of others will too...for instance ME! thanks,now i really understand.
Larry

Postby Guest » 07 Sep 2004, 23:46

Bouaram,

Thanks a lot 10 thousand times....you are a great teacher!!! i got perfectly your point, i did not know how was the process.
I am sorry but i need to ask you other qs if you don't mind: let's say that I apply to program A and they interview me and they put me in their rank list ( what a dream ah? hahahaha!) then when I have to do my rank list i realize that i won't be able to go to that program for any reason...so i do not put in any place the program A...that means that it is impossible to match to program A am i right? so nrmp will not punish me for that am i right?...is this a way to prevent to be punish?.

Thanks again to be soooooooo patient with me! :oops: Best wishes for you too.

Postby PAT » 07 Sep 2004, 23:53

I am sorry bouaram...those post named "guest" were me: PAT.

I forgot to tell you something...the main point on this is that I CAN APPLY to any program i want to....but then if i know that i can not accept a positions on those programs i will be able to not rank them on my list and that is it?...no punish at all?

UFFF did you got what i mean????? :?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!
PAT

Postby bouaram » 08 Sep 2004, 10:44

you are not bothering me at all.. sorry for the delay but i was on call!
anyways, no punishment what so ever.. let me tell you something.. there are 3 options that you might face.
1.you went to program A and they offer you a "pre-match", in this case you sign a contract and withdraw from the match.. no one forces you to accept the pre-match but if you did and you sign the contrcat you can not take back your word and have to join and otherwise you'll be punished by not entering the match for 2 years.
2. you went to programs a, b, c ..etc and then entered the match process.. you can get 100 interviews of course if you have the money and the time.. in the rank list you can put as little as 10 and no one is gonna punish you coz as u r putting ur list a program is doing its list as well.. so as the name indicates "match" so both parties should be happy about outcome.. so if you interviewed in A and did not like it don't bother ranking it..
3. if "God forbids" you went to the programs, ranked them but did not match.. life is not over, so there is a chance of post match in something called post match scramble, in this case ECFMG tells you about unfilled positions, you should have your CV, papers ready so you call and if they said send us your papers you fax them right away..
now, as to matching don't worry you will match if you have a good plan..
divide programs into three categories according to how much you like them, and put them in this order in your list.. you are gonna match eventually.. when i applied i was stupid, coz i thought that only the name of the program is what matters, then now i discovered when i am applying to fellowship that the name of the programs means nothing if you don't have publications even if you have the best recommendations from "big name" doctors..
bouaram
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Postby bouaram » 08 Sep 2004, 10:48

in a nut shell..
1. pre-match acceptance is subject to punishment if you "signed" a contract after withdrawal from the match
2. match is subject to punishment if ou matched and refused to sign the contract
3. post match is subject to punishment if both parties mutually agreed on filling the position and they sent you papers and you either refused to sign or signed and did not go..
Now, not going due to visisa problems is not due to punishment what so ever..
if you need anything else, plz do not hesitate sending me an e-mail to: bouaram@hotmail.com
GL
bouaram
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Postby PAT » 08 Sep 2004, 12:05

Thanks Bouaram, without your help I would never understood how does match works!!

Based on what you told me if a program offer me a prematch the way to do it is to sign a contact with the them and THEN withdraw the match, am i right?

You are an angel, hope God return to you all the good things you have done to help others! :P
PAT

Postby bouaram » 08 Sep 2004, 15:41

PAT,
you got it pal... my advice, it does not matter how big the program is coz at the end of the day it is US experience no matter what, it all depends on your performance during your residency, publications, LOR's..etc..
so, if a pre-match is offered just grab the chance and take it.. always keep backup programs.. schedule interviews after christmas, close to match date so they still remember you..
try to find people who live in the areas where you are going for interviews so you can stay over and save money!!
and finally, ask about "VUSA" which is a travel plan for people who come from outsuide USA and it costs less than regular plane tickets..
oh, sorry one final thing.. arrange interviews in a certain way where you go from a state to a closer one so you can save on travel fare..
GL in your match!
bouaram
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Postby jester » 08 Sep 2004, 20:51

Hi, guys!

I'm a new one here, but I'm even more confused with this match and prematch and other stuff.
What about if i am applying to different specialities? Let's say, I want anesthesia - so i'm applying to CA-1(PGY-2) for 2006 - this is what most of them are, to some with PGY-1(categorical for 2005) and to lots of IM and surgery for PGY-1( 2005). So, if any IM offers me a prematch( Ha, ha - golden dreams), but I need them for proceeding later on to anesthesia, do I have to withdraw from match for IM only, or altogether for the whole stuff( I mean preliminary surgery and categorical anesthesiology)? And, if I apply to different specialities, do I have different rank lists - for each one? For IM, Gas and surgery? And for transitional, for that matter, too?
Can anybody explain this? I feel so stupid( maybe I am), but I can not meet ends. Even if it's so premature to think about the whole process...
jester

Postby PAT » 08 Sep 2004, 22:49

Bouaram,
Thanks again for your support, you give me faith eventhough i know it is no easy but i will try my best. I didn't know you could arrange the interviews ...i though they will tell you dates, i'll keep that in mind. Thanks for all those tips hope to use them someday if the interview me!!!...by the way i am only matching for OBGYN...do you know anything about how difficult is to get a spot in an OBGYN program?. Well, i don't want to bother you...you already have done a lot for me!!!. I guess you are applying for a fellow...i am sure you will get it...my best wishes for you! :wink:

Jester,
sorry i can not answer your qs...they scare me!! ...i do not know even what a cathegorical or preliminar or whatever those terms they use is !!!! and the qs about how do you do the rank list with more than one specialty is very good...as i just will apply for one. This process is very difficult but you will find the answers here!!!.
PAT

Next

Return to Residency Matching - NRMP, ERAS & IMG Forum