Changing specialities as PGY2

Discuss about the Residency Match process - applications, interviews, visas, medical school transcripts, residency programs, ECFMG certificate, match strategies and post-match scramble. Meet current Residents & Fellows here and network for Residency placement. Post your opinion on specific residency programs.

Changing specialities as PGY2

Postby juanperez » 06 Jun 2008, 06:06

Hi, I am a IMG, currently finishing my first year of internal medicine. In this year I have realized that I am not happy with the internal medicine and I've been trying to change to anesthesia all year with no success. I don't know if that's because IMG or the visa H1b but, I wrote to all the programs that If they need me to change the visa I don't have any problem with that, but no answer so far. I had to decide to stay in my program because so far nothing has come up. Do you people know if there is possible to apply with ERAS for a CA1 in Anesthesia being a PGY2 of Internal Medicine to begin in july 2009? I really need an advice and whatever comment you have to say..... Thanks
juanperez
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

Re: Changing specialities as PGY2

Postby TangoMe » 08 Jul 2008, 14:51

Yes, yuo can apply. I know at least 2 residents who went from Im to anesthesia in PGY 1 and 2. One even came back to IM from Radiology in the second year.
TangoMe
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Return to Residency Matching - NRMP, ERAS & IMG Forum