signed letter of intent & got refused!!!

Discuss about the Residency Match process - applications, interviews, visas, medical school transcripts, residency programs, ECFMG certificate, match strategies and post-match scramble. Meet current Residents & Fellows here and network for Residency placement. Post your opinion on specific residency programs.

Postby casquetboy » 18 Mar 2004, 11:04

You still should talk to an attorney, and stand up for yourself and everyone else getting screwed out there. These people see themselves in a position of power and trample over residents with utmost contempt. The letter is very clear, and what they did is not only illegal, but unethical as well. Their actions speak for themselves - I wouldn't care to be in a program with such standards, as similar unfair and unethical situations are likely to arise throughout your stay there. The fact is that if they have already offered a position to someone else, they can't take away, or he'll sue them. They most likely will not offer you a position if an attorney gets involved, but you may be eligible for financial compensation for losses secondary to a contractual violation. The fact that the letter is not signed is relatively irrelevant - there was a verbal agreement (contract), and the fact that they faxed it to you serves as evidence (it should have their fax number up on top, with date& time). I would chew them out and simply eliminate them from my list next year.
casquetboy
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

Postby archrajrao » 18 Mar 2004, 12:56

:o :D No... am not the blood thirsty type.. & i do understand departmental politics.. at the last min, some guy with power comes & exerts his influence & power on the residency director.. what can that person do????This happens.. everywhere.. India, USA!!!! Can understand the Resid director's position... its not like she did not want me there... but the reason i posted the message here is.. so that next time around no one does this mistake of not applying to any more positions just 'cos someone said they will be sending the contract!!
My advice is Keep applying & interviewing till you actually get the written contract in hand!!!
archrajrao
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

Postby casquetboy » 18 Mar 2004, 22:01

Well then, best of luck to you on your search for a OB&GYN position. If you don't find one now, you might as well get one in FP at this time - it always useful to have the experience, plus if you get to rotate OBGYN in your PGY-1, they might like you and offer you a position. I hope it all works out for you... :wink:
casquetboy
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

Postby archrajrao » 19 Mar 2004, 09:42

Thanks!!!! I hope so too...will start applying to FP from april 3rd onwards.. just waiting for some of the programs to reply back.. prelim positions advertised on the CREOG website.....
archrajrao
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

OBGYN at El Paso

Postby Palacios » 19 Mar 2004, 12:00

Try OBGYN at TexasTech El Paso. Program is having some difficuly with ACGME about accreditation - may be easy to get in as many will try to stay out.

However, if program closes, I believe, it is the duty of the program and ACGME to place you at an alternative residency program in same speciality and pay you for the reminder of the residency.

Also, El paso may be close to Phoenix (6 hrs drive, 30 min flight).
Palacios
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

Postby archrajrao » 19 Mar 2004, 12:41

i had written to them.. but they wrote back saying they are closing the program & so will not take in any candiates this year...otherwise, wudn't it show on the NRMP list as positions unfilled?
archrajrao
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

Postby archrajrao » 19 Mar 2004, 12:52

ooops.. sorry.. that was another program in Texas.. not the El paso.. i got a reply from El Paso saying that i shd apply for next year... but i had written to them before the scramble.. anyways, have called & left a message. If u do come to know of any other programs, please do let me know!!!! I really appreciate ur help!!!
archrajrao
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

El Paso, Texas Tech OB GYN

Postby sri » 19 Mar 2004, 14:31

I heard that this El Paso OBGYN may have gone outside the match this year. Not sure though.
sri
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

hi

Postby lsc » 19 Mar 2004, 15:00

could you please post the name of the other Texas hospital that's closing down. Also, is it in Family Practice?
thanks.
lsc
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

Postby archrajrao » 19 Mar 2004, 20:42

i don't remember exactly.. i think it was St paul's.. or something.. community hosp.. & it was in OBGyn..
archrajrao
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

OBGYN residency

Postby Reddy » 22 Mar 2004, 16:36

Any new developments archana?
Reddy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Postby archrajrao » 22 Mar 2004, 21:13

No yaar.. still looking!!! & applying... am spending all my money faxing!!! :lol: :roll: am keeping a watch on the Creog homepage... heard that they usually start calling for interviews in the first week of april... so crossing my fingers & praying!!! :) What are u doing??? resident? finished residency??
archrajrao
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

OBGYN residency

Postby Reddy » 23 Mar 2004, 18:51

IM residency. Still doing it. I try to visit forums when I can and help out others. I know what I went through - without reliable information and no support system. Keep trying archana, I am very confident you wil get into OBGYN July 2004.
Reddy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Postby archrajrao » 23 Mar 2004, 20:24

Thanks for the support!!! Guess my morale can do with a boost! I graduated in 1994 and then did my MD.. 1997. Practiced for 4 years.. so this is also a big minus against me.. most places that i called during scramble said No 'cos they wanted fresh graduates!!! Anyways, will keep trying.. maybe will strike lucky one of these days! :)
archrajrao
0 Star Member
0 Star Member

did you find another residency?

Postby Guest » 20 May 2004, 14:18

did you find another residency?

PreviousNext

Return to Residency Matching - NRMP, ERAS & IMG Forum